105 E. Park Street, Olathe, KS, 66061

Image of Roberson Law logomark

Call Today for a Consultation

Obtaining a K-1 Visa for Your Spouse

The process of obtaining a K-1 visa for your spouse to enter the United States can be intricate and time-consuming, but it is an essential step for couples wishing to unite and build a life together in the US. The K-1 visa, also known as the Fiancé(e) Visa, allows a US citizen to bring their foreign-born fiancé(e) to the US for the purpose of getting married within 90 days of arrival. This article outlines the steps involved in securing a K-1 visa and offers tips to navigate the process effectively.

Step 1: Petition Filing

The first step in obtaining a K-1 visa is for the US citizen, the petitioner, to file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The petitioner must provide proof of their relationship, including photos, communication records, and evidence of in-person meetings within the last two years.

Are you or a loved one in need of help with your case? Contact Roberson Law today for a consultation.

Step 2: USCIS Processing

After the petition is submitted, USCIS will review the application and supporting documents to determine the legitimacy of the relationship and the petitioner’s eligibility. If the petition is approved, it is then forwarded to the appropriate US embassy or consulate in the fiancé(e)’s home country for further processing.

Step 3: Visa Application

Upon receiving the approved petition, the fiancé(e) must complete a DS-160 online visa application form and pay the necessary fees. They will also need to schedule a visa interview at the nearest US embassy or consulate.

Step 4: Medical Examination and Background Check

The fiancé(e) is required to undergo a medical examination by an approved panel physician and obtain all necessary vaccinations. Additionally, a thorough background check will be conducted to ensure the applicant meets the necessary health and security criteria.

Step 5: Visa Interview

During the visa interview, the fiancé(e) will be required to present all supporting documents. These include the approved Form I-129F petition, proof of relationship, medical examination results, and a valid passport. The consular officer will assess the application and interview the fiancé(e) to determine eligibility for the K-1 visa.

Need help with obtaining a K-1 Visa for your spouse? Contact us today for a consultation.

Step 6: Visa Approval and Entry

If approved, the fiancé(e) will be issued a K-1 visa, allowing them to enter the US. It’s important to note that the K-1 visa is typically valid for a single entry. The fiancé(e) must marry the US citizen petitioner within 90 days of arrival.


Securing a K-1 visa for your fiancé(e) involves a series of steps, from petition filing to visa approval and entry into the US. It’s crucial to meticulously follow the application process, provide accurate information, and gather all required documentation. This ensures a smooth and successful journey toward building a life together in the United States.

Learn more about Roberson Law, LLC.

Photo by Korie Cull on Unsplash

Share the Post:

Related Posts